Sunday, October 05, 2008

Sunny Sunny Day

Weekend mornings my first question when I wake up is not (as some would have it), "Where's My Tea?" Instead, these days I ask, "Is the Sun Shining?"

We're on the edge of the dark dark days of winter, the gray days that reach across half of our year, pulling us inside and off of hiking paths, city sidewalks, playgrounds and beer gardens, rendering photographs flat and lightless and...well, you see what I am saying. I'm all about drinking coffee and curling up inside with a good book, but six months is a long rainy weekend. So I love the sun right now, knowing it will be gone soon.

Yesterday it was torrentially bright and beautiful here. To celebrate we took a trip to the Botanical Gardens to visit their pumpkin exhibition and meet up with some friends. We spent the afternoon playing giraffeball (a giraffe is a lot easier to catch than a football, Caroline made her first completion!), drinking fizzy drinks and moving from one patch of sunlit grass to another. Every now and again, we looked at a flower or two too. The pumpkins turned out to be mostly ornamental squash, nicely arranged.1. The giraffe is in the air!! One girl down. 2. Gourds, arranged. 3. Path through the garden's forest. 4. & 5. Flowers on show.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Hmm, I wonder if they sold a lot of the pumpkins on Saturday? When we were there they lined most of the walkways and were up on stone walls... Did they still have arts and crafts for the kids? We got two nice, white goards :)

Kelly said...

Ack I mean gourd!

Julia said...

I bet they had sold them. By the time we got there, there were only a few giant pumpkins and lots of squash and there were signs that said the pumpkins were not for sale. I think we missed the crafts too, but we did get there pretty late on Sunday so that's probably why.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on enjoying the sunshine while it lasts...then we'll spend the next few months inside, dreaming of spring.

Lucy said...

That's absolutely right, I was thinking the other day that October sun is possibly the best of all...

Lovely pics of a lovely day!

Julia said...

Thank you guys!