Sunday, October 26, 2008

Central European Time

J at 6 months
The time changed this morning and we are officially back in CET, or Central European Time. Today's been a lazy day of getting up late and finding it is 8:00, of taking our afternoon walk and heading home for a nap at just past noon. I try to ignore the disappearing sun and the fast approach of our nocturnal winter-time existence; Will applies gallows humor. As the sun slipped behind the trees this afternoon he shook his head in that gleeful/mournful way so contrary to eternal optimists and reminded me that it's all downhill from here till the solstice.*

I thought I'd post a picture as the sun sets tonight (4:49) of a copper-headed J. An antidote of sorts!

* As our household's Google addict, I have to add that this is not strictly true. The sun sets in Prague at 4:00 for two weeks, starting December 7. By December 21 it actually sets at 4:02. Thanks timeanddate.com.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, hello Central European Time goodbye sunlight. Sigh.

Ellen said...

We headed out of the fog to the sunny mountains and hiked all day long with our faces in the sun - saying - on Tuesday it will snow and all will be downhill from then...

lizardek said...

Little redheaded punkin!

Anonymous said...

It's a rainy, dark morning in Germany today.

Those bright, sunny days of summer seem like so long ago now...

Your J is a little pocket of sunshine, isn't he?

Eleanor said...

Oh my goodness....if only I could send some of our Sydney sun up north to you. We spend hours and hours of our lives applying sunblock and looking for shade these days.

Oh, and by the way, I am becoming addicted to pictures of your redheaded baby J. What a cuddlecup. Or, to use an Aussie phrase "Cuddlepot and Snugglepie."

Roderick Robinson said...

The taste of banana is evidently now a distant memory.

Julia said...

If I can find an orange shirt, he's going to be a pumpkin for Halloween, it is only fitting!

He is definitely my sunshine, especially when he smiles his big smile and kicks his feet with glee when he spots me. Such a sweet time.

BB, he seems to have recovered from the (apparently torturous) banana incident and now eats his daily fruits and vegetables with enthusiasm. He is still not a fan of bananas though!

Lucy said...

This far west, I long for the change of hour by this time, even for a fairly happy morning person it really feels like the middle of the night still at 7.30.

James really does rise and shine doesn't he?

(I am currently collecting interesting comment verification words, which lately seem to have more sensibly placed vowels and look more like real words. This one is 'uncle', which is odd as I thought they weren't meant to be real words... sorry, that was jsut by the way!)

Roderick Robinson said...

Lucy: You recognised that too. I feel uneasy typing out a verification sequence I can actually pronounce and it's been happening more frequently over the last week or so. Sorry Julia: this is a bit like hitching a lift in your neighbour's car.

Karla said...

He continues to be one of the more attractive small babies I've ever seen photos of. Julia, if you haven't seen the Australian Cuddlepot and Snugglepie book Eleanor refers to, some of the illustrations are up on an old BibliOdyssey post, I think from over the (northern) summer.

I too have noticed the pronounceable trend in word verifications.

Julia said...

Aha! I'll have to go look those books up.

I am seeing nearly recognizable words too and am thankful. The ijilj combos were hard to decipher sometimes.