Wednesday, November 16, 2005

We both read music from left to right

My Czech friends wonder sometimes how a foreigner can appreciate and listen to their music. I’ve heard this so many times, I generally just chuckle and let it pass, especially when we are sitting around a campfire singing old Czech favorites like “Ruže z Texasu,” “Yellow rose from Texas,” or “Veď mě dal, cesto má,” John Denver’s “Take me home country roads.” And after all, I’ve never been to Texas or spent any time in West Virginia, but I think they are mighty fine songs, regardless ;-).

Tonight, in case you are wondering what the words might mean to a favorite song, the one that you've been humming along to, getting the gist but wanting more, I’ve hashed out a translation of Jaromir Nohavica's “Moje smutné srdce.” Further translation suggestions are welcome.

My sad heart
Black clouds hang over my head
I ask folks why I am loveless
my heart
sad heart

Naked, unshod, I walk the street
I look for love, just one from so many
my heart
sad heart

It isn’t just a vain illusion
long ago scrawled on a pawnshop door
my heart
my sad heart

Moje smutné srdce
Nad mou hlavou černé mraky plují
ptám se lidí proč se nemilují
moje srdce
smutné srdce

Nahý bosý chodím ulicemi
lásku hledám jednu mezi všemi
moje srdce
smutné srdce

Není není je jenom přelud marný
zašlý nápis na dveřích zastavárny
moje srdce
smutné srdce

Filed under:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thing in the second line should be:
"I ask folks why they are loveless" instead "I'm loveless", that's how I understand it.
Nice job, thanks